Things That Will Make You Look Good While Fly Fishing
It felt like Winter lasted forever this year in Montana, and we are so excited about the return of warmer weather because it means fly fishing season can finally really start! No matter your skill level, no matter your favorite fishing spot, fly fishing is something that people of all age and gender can enjoy. Here we give you a few suggestions on what gear to buy so that you can have a great time and look good while fly fishing.
How To Look Good While Fly Fishing
If you’re a fly fisherman who doesn’t give much thought to how you should dress, then we got some tips for you that will not only make you feel more prepared but will help you look good while fly fishing too!
Look Good While Fly Fishing With Hats and Sunglasses
Your vision is a real key element to a successful day of fly fishing. Which means that a hat and sunglasses are pretty non-negotiable. Whether it’s a wide brim fishing hat or a Stillwater Anglers ball cap, both can help keep the sun out of your eyes and help protect against sunburn.
Fly fishing Buffs are also a great option and so we recommend you head to the Fly Shop and let us help you find exactly the headgear you need.
Look Good With The Right Outfit Head to Toe
Start with a sturdy hat and end with a pair of waders or boots. The Fly Shop has everything you need to not only feel prepared but look great out on the water. From cool fly fishing shirts to name-brand glasses, we have it all. You’ll also want some quality accessories like a vest or backpack to hold all of your gear.
For a full day out on the river we suggest the following outfit:
- Wide-brimmed fishing hat
- A decent pair of polarized sunglasses
- A long sleeved button down vented back linen shirt or a traditional lightweight polyester shirt
- A pair of durable, quick-drying pair of nylon fly fishing pants
- Neoprene wet wading socks and wading boots
- Waist-high or full-chest waders (ask us for our favorite brands)
- Fishing vest or backpack
Have questions? Give us a call or stop by the shop. We will show you what we personally carry and our personal style. We even rent gear if you’re ready to be fully outfitted for your next guided trip.
Look Good By Looking Smart
Probably our number one tip for looking good while fishing is to dress smart. Showing up in shorts and a t-shirt when it’s pouring rain will make you look and feel a little foolish. And alternatively, wearing a heavy sweatshirt and thick jeans without a hat or a pair of sunglasses in the summer heat might make you wish you stayed home.
A few other things you definitely do NOT want to forget when packing for your fly fishing adventure:
- Be prepared for all weather types and pack layers of clothing in case something happens.
- Another important thing to remember is sunscreen. You will not look good if you are burnt to a crisp and as red as a lobster.
- Bug Spray. We probably don’t have to tell you how annoying it is to have to slap mosquitos away all day when you’re just trying to relax on the water.
- Look smart and sharp on the river with a full bottle of water. You definitely don’t want to get dehydrated or start feeling sick, so stay stocked up on water and you’ll be good to go!
The Bottom Line To Look Good While Fly Fishing
The bottom line to look good while fly fishing is to be prepared for all weather emergencies and any situation. Dress in or pack layers of clothing in case the weather takes a turn for the worse. Bring lots of water and wear sensible shoes.
You don’t have to wear name brand clothes or have all the best equipment to look great. You will look great automatically when you’re having fun on the river. If you are one of those people who need to look like you stepped out of a Bass Pro Shop catalog, that’s cool too, and we have the gear all anglers want at The Fly Shop.